Saturday, November 22, 2008

Sounds of my Average Day (performance piece)






For my performance art piece, I constructed a rhythmic song made from samples of my day. I used Garage Band and my computer to sample a variety or things and string them along to a monologue that I wrote as well.

The performance piece went down as I had planned. My cellphone was the first to start which was my pink panther alarm ring tone. Then it changes to the sounds of a bathroom. (shaver, sink running, shower, brushing teeth) After that, I had a section that was produced just from my car. (doors opening and closing, trunk, car horn, different revving levels) I then had an interlude where my girlfriend call amidst the performance which puts everything on hold. (staged) I answer the pone and briefly have a conversation with her over the speakers. I put this in there because the sound of her voice and the sound of the Brown Eyed Girl ring tone that she put on my phone is a very repetitive sound that i'm guaranteed to hear.

10 comments:

Ciara Ross said...

I really liked your performance, it was a really unique idea and it came out really well.

brendan wallace said...

ryan- your song was awesome...did you record all of those sounds yourself and arrange them, or were they clips you chose or what? it was cool either way... your speaking sounded like a poetry reading sort of, with the added effect of sound and song..like something at an open mic or something. good job.

ckumka said...

I thought your performance was the most creative and fun to watch in the whole class. The cell phone part was awesome! You really took it above and beyond with the technology! Great job!

Flimsy Sensation said...

Nice idea... love it :)

Shawn Rubin said...

Very noir and very cool, I loved the part when you were on the phone, good job

Victor Valery said...

hahaha i really liked your presentation, it was very entertaining, you had everything cued perfectly too.

John Dolan said...

very well planned out and executed. Very entertaining.

tasermely said...

I loved your perfomrance!! the idea was original and fascinating!! great job!!!

Matt N. said...

Really creative and awesome soundtrack. I know how tough it can be to make one like that after my performance

berni M said...

this was really cool. i loved all the dif sounds you used that let us into a day of Ryan Mccalister! haha it was great- awesome job